Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Chapter 1 Vocabulary

vehemence: intensity or forcefulness of expression; ferocity: the property of being wild or turbulent. "The feeling in her voice rose as the wind rose. She had a throaty vehemence, like someone arguing through the threat of impending tears." - page 3.

insinuating
: calculated to please or gain favor; in an insinuating manner. "The Witch could not venture out in such a vicious, insinuating wetness." - page 4

perverse: turned away from or rejecting what is right, good, or proper; wicked or corrupt. "Today? That would be like you, perverse and inconvenient," said her husband, teasing her, standing at the doorway and look outward, over the lake, the fields, the forested slopes beyond." - page 6

extemporize: to sing, or play on an instrument, composing the music as one proceeds; improvise. "Melena heard Frex inside, beginning to extemporize, warming up, calling forth the rolling phrases of his argument, convincing himself again of his righteousness. How did that proverb go, the one that Nanny singsonged to her, years ago, in the nursery?" - page 8

woe: grievous distress, affliction, or trouble. "But she remembered this as a joke, fondly. Woe is the natural end of life, yet we go on having babies." - page 8

idolatry: excessive or blind adoration, reverence, devotion, etc. "What do you think I'm up against today? How can I convince my flock to turn away from the razzle-dazzle spectacle of idolatry? I will probably come back tonight having lost to a smarter attraction. You might achieve a child today. I look forward to failure." - page 10


blasphemously: uttering, containing, or exhibiting blasphemy; irreverent; profane. "Be holy, and I'll be thinking of you- my backbone, my breastplate. And also try not to be killed."
The will of the Unnamed God," said Frex.
"My will too," she said blasphemously."
- page 10




-MONICA SHARMA :]

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting Monica. :) I thought I knew was blasphemously meant, but I didn't really understand it in that context.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gabby! i was going to say that too. except the word I knew was woe and perverse. the other words were unknown to me haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. that REALLY helps me, thx Monica :D

    ReplyDelete